I recently read an article by Caterina Pontoriero that showed Texas has the most fires from frying turkeys. I guess it makes sense since Texas is such a big state. Not to mention Texans love to cook. Studies do show that fires have decreased over the years, which is some good news. She provides some great tips when frying your bird:
- Don't use too much oil
- Do not fry indoors. Fry outdoors at a safe distance from buildings, trees and wood structures
- Shut off fuel source when putting the turkey in to avoid flare-ups from spill over
- Make sure your turkey is properly thawed
- Never leave the turkey unattended while frying
- Do not use ice or cold water to cool down oil
- Keep an extinguisher approved for cooking or grease fires nearby
Click here to read her article.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Insurance Agent | Austin, Texas